Friday, May 23, 2014

3 websites you should bookmark if you're really serious about nailing the GMAT

Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the GMAT was one of the toughest parts of the application process for me.

When I was about to start studying for it, I knew looking online would be a good place to start. So, I did just that. However, because I wasn't sure exactly where to look, I ended up looking everywhere.

Because my access to electricity and stable internet was so limited, I would save web pages to my desktop or to a memory stick instead of reading them on the spot. The images usually came out funny when I re-opened them but at least that way, I was sure I could read the text without internet access if I had to.

Also, because my search was so widespread, I read so much but retained very little.

Information overload happened very quickly.

If you're in study-mode and you're trying to avoid such a situation, here are 3 really good websites that helped me focus my online trolling efforts.

1. Beat the GMAT
 
Beatthegmat.com, for me, is the Holy Grail of MBA application information. It has answers to almost every question you might have about the MBA. Their GMAT section is bursting with articles, free guides, question analyses, etc. In relation to your GMAT prep, there are three things I'd say you should use this site for
  • Gaining practical advice on how to develop and stick to realistic GMAT study plans
  • Drawing inspiration from the stories of other candidates with their "I just beat the GMAT" section
If I could only recommend one site for you visit everyday as you prepare, it would definitely be this one.

Manhattan GMAT reminds me of those secondary school teachers you hated while you were their student but ended up loving after you'd passed out of their class.

The general stereotype with MGMAT is that you should add at least 20 points to whatever score you get from their practice tests to know how well you'd do on the actual exam. I bought their complete practice kit for my personal study and I can tell you that this is truth. It prepares you for the battlefront of the GMAT.

Bottom line: their practice tests are hard core.
If you don't plan on using their kit for your study, you should at least visit the site for their

  • Very helpful blog with tips on how to solve the toughest GMAT questions

3. Poets and Quants

Poets and Quants' strength is really in the quality of articles they publish. Whenever they put up a post about the GMAT, whether it's about new changes to the exam or tips on how to tackle difficult questions, you can be sure that it will leave you feeling more confident about what steps you need to take in getting closer to your GMAT goal.


You shouldn't limit your research to just these sites but if like me, electricity and stable internet are in the 'luxuries of life' category, here's hoping these will help you maximise your precious moments of internet connectivity.

If you know of any GMAT sites that you'd like to add to the list, please feel free to mention them below.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sola, thanks for starting this blog. Unfortunately I have been trefreshing this blog for a while now and no new info. I understand that it may be unrealistic to expect you to post something daily but it would be great if you have a timeline for posting things say every Friday or every Monday. That was does of us following your blog dont get frustrated and quit checking it. Just my thought. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That way those... (correcting my typo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I know how annoying it gets when blogs I follow go AWOL so I can totally relate to how you feel.

      I've just put up a new blog post (please check it out!- http://thirdworldtoivyleague.blogspot.de/2014/06/3-sure-banker-questions-adcom-will-have.html) and hope to publish another one before the end of the week.

      A good way to stay up to date might be to follow by email. That way, you'll automatically get notified when I put up a blog post and you don't have to keep refreshing the page to know if there's new content.

      Thanks again for stopping by and all the best with your application!

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is amazing! I am grateful to you for sharing this post. My sister is taking the GMAT this year and this post is going to help her a lot. I am so happy that there is internet now days. Even I cleared my bar exam with the help of Mobile Bar Review Courses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. buy facebook recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta favorite this website it seems very helpful .
    smm providers

    ReplyDelete
  6. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.
    smm provider panel

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or share a thought...