Thursday, September 15, 2016

[Video] Life Update: 7 Milestones that marked the Past 2 Years.

When it became official

Hard to believe it's been over 2 years since I started this blog... and almost that long since I last posted (eek!). For those lucky enough to have started an MBA since then, first of all, Congrats! Second of all, I'm sure you now understand.


The entire experience was a whirlwind. The most resounding piece of advice (and perhaps the most valuable) I received at the beginning was to truly live in the moment as 2 years will fly by really quickly. 2 years have flown by and boy, were they right!

A bit of an update on me. 7 milestones since I started the blog.

1. I concluded my year in Germany: Since I was very little, I'd dreamed of living in a foreign country. Especially having read dozens of storybooks that told exciting tales of 'enchanted forests' and 'walks along the lake', neither of which I could relate to but loved to experience through the pages of novels.

Then came my first international trip as a 7-year old visiting cousins in London on holiday. First and foremost, this officially made me a bubbler (aka cool kid) in my mind. I had, as we say in Nigeria, 'janded'. I now knew what things like 'mind the gap' meant, and as evidence of my new status, I took maps of the London Underground to show to my friends in school. Yup. I really did that.

But secondly, and more importantly, my desire to immerse myself in such a world grew even stronger. Landing in Lagos after that first trip, I found myself asking why can't Nigeria be like that?, why don't we have good roads, working trains, and fancy malls?, why can't we have uninterrupted electricity for a whole day?The exposure provided a sharp contrast to life in Surulere, where I grew up and went to school (shout out to my 'Lere crew!), that made me very curious to understand how the developed world worked on the inside and figure out how we could apply the lessons back home . 

This curiosity has only grown since then and is a big part of why spending a year out meant a lot to me.

Germany was great! For me, getting there took a tedious international interview process, a couple of difficult conversations with my bosses ("so you're leaving now, because...?"), and multiple visa rejections (the EU keeps things tight, yo!), the first of which I incidentally received on my birthday (Happy birthday but we won't let you into our country). Now that it's all done, despite the obstacles I faced, my time in Germany was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

While working abroad provided it's own challenge, figuring out life outside of work was perhaps the most thrilling part. Negotiating for a new apartment with locals, organizing events to connect with people and to build relationships, and quickly establishing credibility in a new organization, were experiences that not only helped me grow personally and professionally, but that also expanded my mind far beyond the limits they held before.

Don't get me wrong though. There were downsides to being so far away from home where there's not a lot of familiarity and where you have to work to feel a sense of belonging. But, for me, the positives of the experience far outweighed the negatives and I would absolutely do it all over again.
At the walls of Nürnberg, the city where I lived. The city is an integral part of German history as it was where the Nazis had their annual rallies as well as many other gatherings for strategic political and geographic reasons.

Outside my office building, Adidas HQ, Herzogenaurach. It was during my research process before joining the group that I realized that they owned Reebok as well as TaylorMade.

Wearing a dirndl at the annual Erlangen beer festival which is actually Germany's oldest and original beer festival. Turns out Oktoberfest is a 'commercial ploy' targeted at unsuspecting tourists. Who woulda thunk?

Joined the touch rugby team at work. I ran so fast during one of our games that someone joked about my 'African' genes being responsible for my performance. I found that funny.


Met up with some HBS classmates in Berlin before we started school. Found each other on Facebook!

Sightseeing in Amsterdam at the Van Gogh museum park.

Meeting up an old friend and a new friend in Vienna, Austria. Old friend from secondary school. New friend from HBS.
Enjoying the windy top of the Cologne cathedral after climbing 533 steps to get there. Probably wasn't the best decision to do this a few hours before going to a Beyonce concert but hey, YOLO! Also, the breathtaking view made it totally worth it.
The climb

With smitten strangers at the famous John Lennon wall in Prague, Czech Republic... just kidding. These are my friends and travel buddies.
Repping Nigeria at work after the new world cup jersey was unveiled

By far, the best part of Germany - the food! My favourite, Weißwurst und Butter Brezel!

2. I won a full MBA scholarship: Post-Germany, I had to make a decision on how to finance my MBA. As you probably know, an MBA ain't no cheap venture - a $200,000+ bill is not for kids.

I'd heard from friends who had taken certain jobs after the MBA not because they believed they would enjoy the work, but because it would help pay off their student loans. I also already had an offer from my place of work to pay for school though this was only if I promised to return to them afterwards.

I didn't mind returning to my previous job. In fact I enjoyed my work there that and at the time I was confident I would go back after school. However, as much as possible, I wanted my decision on where to work post b-school to be a choice of passion, not of compulsion.

As it turns out, 1 Nigerian is selected by 7Up every year to be fully sponsored for the MBA program at Harvard with no strings attached.

After receiving my admission letter, as some of my friends would say, 'the devil triiiied it!' - 7Up's scholarship website was down and some of the email addresses I could scrape from web archives returned the dreaded 'Mailer Daemon' message!

But, I was determined to get through to the team no matter what. So, with 'prayer and supplication' (I'm sure my Naija folks feel me) I hounded down 7Up Nigeria's management and staff on LinkedIn. 

From logistics officers to heads of departments, I added anyone on LinkedIn who claimed to work at 7Up and submitted my plea one inbox message at at time. I also reached out to previous winners of the scholarship, some of whom dug in their heels to share contacts to anyone they thought could help. I left no stone unturned. Eventually I made headway. The glitch in their IT system got fixed and I received a response from the coordinating team.

I applied for and won the scholarship in 2014 which not only saved me what could have been hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans, but also afforded me the liberty to choose which job offer to accept without fear of a loan default.


Sola 'the hound' Olaniyan in action.

Thank you, 7Up!
My face on their banner. Does this mean I'm famous? Ha.


3. I said 'yes': I thought I was excited after gaining admission into b-schools but this took things to a whole new level! Not only was I going to one of the best schools in the world, one of my best people in the world was committing to towing the journey with me for those 2 years and beyond. It was a mish-mosh of emotions that turned me into a real goofball.

It also translated to me spending quite some time during my first year of b-school planning and prepping for my wedding. 

In between classes, study sessions, and other social events, I managed to squeeze in dress fittings, bridal party coordination, and calls with my mum and the planners in Lagos.

Definitely not the typical MBA schedule but for me it turned out to be great practice in time management and prioritization. Gotta juggle those balls!

After I said 'yes'.
Our first day together in the US. Ignore the random pic of someone's butt on the right... It was New York. What can I say?
Dress fitting #1 at Musette Bridal on Newbury Street. I highly recommend them to anyone in Boston who's looking to do dress shopping. Beautiful dresses, wide range of options, and highly competent and courteous staff.
Post-alteration back view of my dress

Receiving and batching orders of our wedding souvenirs. The personalized playing cards were my favourite.
Mini cake boxes for our guests
4. We got married: There are many joys to planning the celebration of two people coming together in love. However, I strongly believe that planning a NIGERIAN WEDDING - probably true for any wedding anywhere really - should get you an official degree from the University of Life. Chai!

In between
-juggling competing priorities of numerous parties, 
-managing expectations of current and future family members, 
-chasing down vendors to deliver,
-hoping the logistics work out and 
-enjoying the day itself, 

(I think I just outlined the curriculum)


...you find that you have run through topics that could form a 'getting things done' lesson.

Nonetheless, we were, and still are, very grateful for all the friends and family who pulled together from all parts of the world to make the event successful. Also, the day marked a brand new beginning in our lives and that, in itself, was worth celebrating!
Selfie time! At our traditional wedding
Getting dolled up in my second traditional outfit. Got to hand it to Nigerian makeup artists though. They know how to beat a face!
We got hitched!


Turn up!
5. I got pregnant: So I thought the dark winter and thick snow of Boston made it hard to get into productive mode... 

Along came nausea, intense bouts of hunger, fatigue, the need to pee every 5 minutes, and weighing up to 30lbs more than my normal weight, to laugh LOUDLY in my face. While these made me quite lethargic and a little (read: a lot) cranky, my resolve to stay on top of academics and social events only grew stronger. Also, FOMO is real.

But I have a few questions for the world though... 

Like why is morning sickness called 'morning' sickness when it lasts the entire day, all day, every day? Ehn? Why?

And why is there no maternity leave at the beginning of pregnancy when (a) that is the highest risk period, and (b) symptoms that could impede performance are at their peak in that period? Ehn? Why?

Looking back, there are very many aspects to pregnancy and child birth that I had taken for granted up until now. I'm certainly much more knowledgable about and have a greater appreciation for the design and capabilities of our bodies.

Key takeaway: we are magnificent beings.
Quick selfie in-between classes about 5 months gone.
Preparing for baby. Bringing home the car seat at about 6 months gone.
With friends and Nigerian Actress, Bimbola Akintola, at the Harvard viewing of the stage play, 'Hear Word!' About 7 months gone.


On my way to class. About 8 months gone.
Raspberry tea somehow helped make study sessions more enjoyable
Heading out to dinner with friends. Almost 9 months gone.
With friends at a year-end formal. About 9 months gone.
Maternity shoot with hubby in front of iconic HBS landmark - Baker Library. About a week to due date.
Maternity shoot with hubs at Hawes walkway on campus. About a week to due date.

6. I graduated from Harvarrrrrdddd!This was a very joy-filled day. Not just because my then-overdue baby stayed put and allowed me experience my graduation, but because in the moment that the multi-year journey to this coveted diploma came to an end, I looked around and I was surrounded by people I love and who have loved and supported me all the way.

My old nuclear, new nuclear, and new extended family all represented. WE did it!

Also, shout-out to my little one who attended classes, co-wrote exams, and wore the graduation gown with mummy.


Awaiting conferment at Harvard Yard. Not sure whether it was the black and red robes but something felt quite magical about that day especially in the morning. This was not long before the video at the top was shot.
In full preggo mode, walking the stage to receive my certificate


L-R, My husband's mum, my husband, me, my 2nd younger bro, my mum, and my 1st younger bro.

With my degree certificate

7. Four days after graduation... delivered a beautiful baby girl: 12:57am on Monday, 30th May, 2016. Also happened to be US Memorial Day. This was something. And it's probably the most cliche thing to say but truly, words can't describe the mix of emotions in the moments of childbirth.

I have someone literally looking up to me now. Someone who for the rest of my life will hopefully look to me for guidance on big and small things. Realizing this has a way of making you approach life a little differently.

Super-exhausted from all the pushing. The morning after delivery at the postpartum ward at Massachusetts General Hospital.


With my little one at about 4 weeks postpartum along the Charles River in Boston

In-plane bassinet. On our way to Lagos.
It's been a very productive 2 years to say the least and I'm beyond grateful for all the family, friends, and colleagues that supported me throughout the journey. 

And most of all, I'm thankful to God for working with me and ensuring the entire universe conspired to make my dreams a reality, despite the numerous challenges along the way.

Home. About 7 weeks postpartum in Lagos.

Feeling renewed and ready for the next phase!

Details about my MBA learning experience to come in another post.

15 comments:

  1. Time flies when you're having fun! Just keep being your true authentic self and I'm sure you''ll have many more joyous milestones to celebrate in your lifetime. #SwongWoman #wcE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly Strong Woman! You are an epitome of the greatness of a woman! Triple Congratulations dear on your Wedding, Your Graduation and your beautiful Princess! I left you a mail on your agribusiness email. Kindly take out time to read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Yinka.

      Will check out your email.

      Delete
  3. First off, big congratulations on all your mile stone events - and the miracle of your baby girl... Oluwa a wo o. I remember contacting you on LinkedIn when you resumed at Harvard and you signed off your reply with "See you in Boston". At the time, I was in a Masters program in France and while I envisioned myself going in for an MBA in the future, Harvard seemed out of reach because of high tuition and living expenses. So, as you may be able to imagine now, I rolled my eyes at that part. But now, seeing so many examples around me including you, Kemi and Bankole... I'm so ready and yes, see you in Boston! I would be happy to glean as much as I can from you on making winning applications - school + scholarship.

    Now, to Germany... curious to know the process of applying to work in a multi-national firm abroad from Nigeria. On first look, it would seem that one had to get a degree from the country in this case Germany, before attempting to apply to organisations based there. Would be happy to have more details on your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jola! The process starts with a written application submitted for a vacant post (they post these on LinkedIn and on their website). I didn't have a degree from or any ties to Germany which made the process really tough for me, so eventually I relied on my work experience and professional qualifications to help make my case stronger. My big learning from the experience is definitely to do more research before applying for such a role. All the best and YES to 'seeing you in Boston' soon!

      Delete
  4. WOW! what an inspiring story. i literally have tears of joy yet i do not even know you. just sent you a request on linkedin because you are officially my role model. All the best in whatever you do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many congratulations for the lovely baby girl and for your HBS degree! Would you have some time to answer my questions on how strong you think my profile is? I am from India though, not Nigeria :)
    Hope you'll respond :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I came accross your inspiring profile/blog on your journey from Covenant to HBS and your 7up scholarship to HBS. As a young Nigerian, it is this kind of stuff that gives us immense hope in the sometimes 'bleak' future of our country. I am interested in pursing an MBA degree, and I am at the point of writing the painstaking GMAT:( Any advice/thoughts? I looked at the average GMAT for top b schools (about 730 for HBS ) and they are very high. lol. Do I need to score that high too? for instance, what GMAT score catapulted you in into HSB? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I could not hold back tears of joy after reading this master piece.You are really an inspiration to other women.I love your "Yes I can" attitude.Soar high!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đài loan và dịch vụ gửi hàng đi canada uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get Packers and Movers Chandigarh List of Top Reliable, 100% Affordable, Verified and Secured Service Provider. Get Free ###Packers and Movers Chandigarh Price Quotation instantly and Save Cost and Time. ???Packers and Movers Chandigarh Reviews and Compare Charges for household Shifting, Home/Office Relocation, ***Car Transportation, Pet Relocation, Bike SHifting @ Packers And Movers chandigarh

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or share a thought...